In accordance with the Additional Learning Needs Code for Wales 2021, a child has an Additional Learning Need if he/she:
- has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age; or
- has a disability which prevents or hinders him/her from making use of the educational facilities generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream maintainted schools or mainstream institutions in the further education sector.
Here at Y Bont Faen, we believe that:
- a child with ALN should have their needs met;
- their needs should be met within the mainstream school setting where possible;
- the child’s views should be sought and taken into account;
- parents play a vital role in their child’s education, and their views should be sought and taken into account;
- children with ALN should have full access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum.
Our ALNCo is Eileen Miller. She has undertaken training in many areas of ALN and if you have any queries please contact her through the school website or call the school office to make an appointment.
Additional Learning Needs and Education Tribunal (Wales) Act 2018
This Act is now being phased in and will be fully implemented by August 2023. It ensures that all learners with ALN are supported to overcome their difficulties. It enables a person-centred approach which puts the pupil at the centre of planning for their future learning and caters for people with learning difficulties from birth to 25 years of age.
If your child currently has a Statement of Special Educational Need, that Statement will remain in place until 2022-23, when it will be replaced by an Individual Development Plan.